Service Animals

GCC Partners Service Animal Request Process

GCC Partners policy on Service Animals is taken directly from guidelines established by US Department of Urban Housing (HUD) and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If a person with a disability needs to use an assistance animal, he or she must first make the request to GCC Partners in writing.

HUD states that “A person seeking the accommodation must submit reliable documentation of the disability and disability-related need for the assistance animal if the disability is not known or readily-apparent. This documentation is usually a letter from a medical doctor or treating therapist who can establish the disability and need for the assistance animal”.

All information must be submitted, reviewed and approved by GCC Partners prior to the animal being on the property. * Please do not risk your request being denied by ignoring this important point.

If you wish to request an accommodation for a service animal at a GCC Partners property, please kindly submit the following to us at

Submit documentation from your health provider

We require written verification from your health care provider that you are disabled, but do not need any specifics about the disability.  We also require written verification from your health care provider that the service animal is needed.  This information is easiest provided in letter form from your doctor.

The letter should include:

  • – Your full name and address.
  • – That you have a disability.
  • – That you are unable to perform at least one of the most important activities of your everyday life because of this disability.
  • – That the service animal is trained to assist in the area of disability.
  • – The letter must be dated no later than a year from today.

Submit information about the animal

Please provide the following:

  • – The name of the animal.
  • – The size, weight, color and breed of the animal.
  • – A color picture of the animal.
  • – Documentation certifying the specific training for the service animal with regard to the area of need.

Submit health and wellness documentation

This should be from a licensed veterinarian for the service animal, including immunization and vaccination records.

Submit proof of current license

For dogs only. From either Kern County Animal Control or California City Animal Control, based on your location.

Important things to consider

-If you are a current tenant, it is important that the above information is received for review by us prior to the service animal being on the property.

-If you are a prospective tenant, please submit all information with your application.

-Please do not submit the information until all of it is included. Incomplete requests will be denied. Email to:

-Once all the above information is received, we will review your request and have an answer to you with 7 days.

-Please note we will contact the medical professional issuing the letter for confirmation as allowed by HUD and the ADA.

When you are approved for a service animal

-Service animals must follow the same reasonable rules that apply to pets as far as waste, leash restrictions damage, noise and safety.

-We will not charge pet deposits or pet fees because we don’t consider service animals as pets.

-GCC Partners can still write warnings, deliver official notices or even evict the tenant and support animal for things like excessive noise, property damage, behavior problems or whenever the service animal might threaten the safety of other tenants.


Unsure of the guidelines between Service, Support and Therapy animals? The Following chart may help.

Questions? Email us at Sooner is always better than later. We are here to help.